Monday 28 November 2011

Michael Carrick: Simple but Effective

Since joining twitter last summer, one of the main things that have struck me from United fans is the split opinion on Michael Carrick. Apart from the odd “Where is Ravel Morrison” tweet, Michael Carrick always seems to spark debate with many obviously not being fans of his ‘simple but effective’ style.

Before I mean to go on, I am a Carrick fan. Back in the ’08 season I even had Carrick on the back of my shirt and I’ve always admired his composure on the ball and the ability to pick a short pass rather than the Scholesy sixty yard switch. I’ve always been someone that doesn’t go down the mainstream route of adoring Rooney/Ronaldo which is probably the reason why I support the lesser known players such as Carrick, Gabriel Obertan and even Kiko Macheda.

Carrick for me is a deep lying playmaker (sorry for the Football Manager terminology) that can pick a pass and can keep the move flowing, his ability to not be forced into playing the Hollywood ball I find an asset that some don’t admire. Now 30, this for Carrick isn’t a major issue due to his play style; he has started to gain some plaudits and in particularly from Sir Alex Ferguson who described Michael as “outstanding” after his in my opinion, man of the match performance against Swansea where Michael completed 92/96 passes.

Carrick is someone that also hasn’t been recognised in terms of International level with Michael collecting just twenty-two caps due to Gerrard and Lampard’s dominance which is odd because Carrick against European opposition is excellent. In a European game you normally end up with more time on the ball, something that suites Michael down to the ground. In the Premier League you’re hassled and are hunted in packs which could be a reason why Michael has started a large majority of Champions League games since his arrival.

One thing Michael lacks is aggression but in my view that could be solved with the people around him. Many suggest Michael passes just back-wards and side-wards, well; Michael has played 2.6x more forward passes than backwards + sideways combined. With that in mind, with a more tenacious midfielder beside him, Carrick could easily do the ‘Modric style’ job but from a deeper position/

Michael certainly isn’t any Iniesta or Xavi but I still think he has a place in the England team and certainly a place in the United team for years to come. His experience is invaluable for the likes of Cleverley and Pogba and his tactical knowledge is far superior to other members in the squad. Hopefully this hasn’t come across as a love letter to Michael Carrick but I do feel a little bit of recognition is in order.

Thanks for reading,

TFL.

2 comments:

  1. Decent read. Agree 100% with what you are saying. If he could provide 2 or 3 more goals I don't think his role/ability would be highlighted as much. Goals are not crucial to his game I know, but it wouldn't hinder him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't have agreed with you until I read a similar article on a United blog recently. After that I've started watching closely and he really is immense. Yes he makes mistakes, but I think it's because he makes them in his own third (which is where he mostly drops to get the ball) that they're so emphasized. People seem to forget that Scholes used to make those kinds of mistakes all the time. That said, Carrick needs to work on his passing in the defending third - maybe avoid the square pass - but other than that he's a really exceptional player. He does what Busquets does for Barcelona. Also, I'm glad you noticed him in the Swansea game, because most people didn't. He was also our best player against Benfica. I think Carrick just lacks a bit of confidence and if played alongside two other CMs - one combative and one creative, i.e. Fletcher and Cleverley - he could really restore some creativity to United.

    ReplyDelete