Sunday 7 August 2011

2011/2012 Season - Pre Thoughts.

 

With a week till the season starts and with a whole new set of followers, I decided to show you where the season will go in the view of my twitter; blogs will be a key feature, not just the same old biased 140 character opinions on Manchester United. After watching the Community Shield which included the two main title contenders; Manchester United and Manchester City gave us a clear indication on how the unpredictable season will go with both sides showing their qualities. So, where to start?

The best place to start is who will win the Premiership? In my opinion, there are three main contenders. Nineteen time champions Manchester United will have to defend their title with noisy neighbours Man City being closely behind. As well as the two main Manchester clubs, Chelsea, under new management, will hope to put a spanner in the works with trying to win their title back after losing out to the Red Devils last season. Being such a close run thing, the key to winning the title is consistency, especially against the smaller teams. This was proved last season when current champions Manchester United won through there incredible home form, only dropping points as well as catches, against West Brom. Against that, Manchester United’s away form was dreadful, something that will have to be corrected this term. As well as not dropping points at home and losing to the smaller teams, a little bit of luck is involved. Chelsea hasn’t had the best of luck with injuries already with Michael Essien picking up a serious knee injury.

United have spent well with the signings of David de Gea, Phil Jones and current England international Ashley Young. This moves us to signings of the season (so far.) I say so far as we all know the deadline is the 31st August, when all the late deals are done. With already over £250 million spent by Premier League clubs, there are many contenders for my prediction for signing of the season. For this reason, I’ll do one for each position. Starting off with the Goalkeeper, there’s only one choice for me. Shay Given. After watching the Asia Trophy, you could see Aston Villa have bought well with the acquisition of the Irish international. His experience and agility are the key attributes into leading Villa into a new era. Moving onto the defenders, keeping the blog slightly biased I’m going to go with John O’Shea. After being so successful with Manchester United, the versatile full back will be able to show his leadership qualities and again, like Shay Given, be able to send his new club in a different direction.

Moving onto the midfield, I feel there will be plenty of movement in this position as most of the sagas are situated around the need for the playmaker. With Fabregas, Nasri, Modric and Sneijder all rumoured to leave their current clubs for big money. Baring that in mind, I’ve gone for more of a wildcard option in Seb Larsson at Sunderland. Many would have expected me to go Ashley Young but I feel getting him on a free, Seb can be a fantastic player and maybe can show it at a better club, with better players. (Expecting some hate for that prediction.)

We now move onto the strikers, again I’ve not gone for an obvious choice. I’ve gone for Gervinho. After watching glimpses of him pre-season, I feel he could do great for Arsenal, shame for all Arsenal fans is that he isn’t a defender, could probably do a better job than their current crop of defensive “talent.” Other than scoring goals, it’s also apparent that he can chip in with a few assists as a striker, something I like.


This is going to be first of many blogs (hopefully) and I hope some of you take some time and read it. I will be mostly reporting matches etc as transfers aren’t really my thing. I tend to actually focus on the football itself and not the circus that involves the beautiful game.

Thanks for reading,

Footylad.

No comments:

Post a Comment