Tuesday 16 August 2011

De Gea: Potential - Part 2

The first part to ‘Potential’ series received a fantastic response and with the uproar of requests, I decided to do a shorter Part 2 today to finish my opinions on the early stages of De Gea’s career.  If you didn’t read Part 1, I explained in a analytical manner his individual performances and some of the mistakes he’s made. Also, how the mistakes he’s made haven’t necessarily been his fault and how he’s been scrutinized for something very minor that has been costless to Manchester United.


The inspiration to writing this came from two reasons. Firstly, after the City game I received a Facebook comment quoting “He’s f***ing S***” then, after the West Brom game I read an article (will leave the link at the end of blog) which really inspired me to get my points across in more than 140 characters and hopefully make the clueless fans understand rather than the neutral.


The way I’m going to describe who I’m aiming this is by comparing it to the riots. A question used by most is “All young people should do national service.” No, only a small sector of young people is like that, giving the stereotypical view that youngsters are all trouble makers. It’s the same with De Gea. A small sector of United fans have slated him on twitter etc and that gives the stereotypical  opinion that we’ve all  lost faith in De Gea, no we haven’t. Many United fans haven’t seen a different keeper than Van Der Sar and are quickly coming round to the fact it’s hard to play like Van Der Sar straight away and also Edwin had experience in English football with Fulham.


Now, how do the media affect things? Massively. The media guys are respected by some and I have my own small few reporters that I really listen to. I read an article by Alan Hansen on David De Gea, yes you heard me, Alan Hansen. He clearly isn’t going to right anything positive and basically claimed United players had lost faith in David. Let’s be honest Alan is the know as much as the “ITK” twitter accounts on Sneijder. He knows nothing but because it’s written in a national newspaper some people may believe him. I’ll move onto Martin Tyler, who I’ve lost a massive amount of respect for after his atrocious comments towards one of David’s saves.


It was shortly after Shane Long’s goal when Tchoyi swooped in quite frankly a cross which took David by surprise.  It looped over David who made a smart save and scooped it to safety. After a first glance, I thought it was a smart save and a good recovery from a piece of luck basically. Tyler described it as “awkward.” Why does he do that? Why does a commentator just make the situation worse by not giving him any deserved praise and just quite frankly be so negative. It’s not just Tyler, just using him as an example.


Now, here’s something that you’ll definitely agree with, how the media portray David to say Jordan Henderson. Now, for me, it’s country before club and I want to see English talent shine through. Now, after his extraordinary £20 million move to Liverpool, I thought they have someone with a real potential, just like David. The media have touted him for big things and I couldn’t see any negative press about him, I still can’t see them now. Why? I’m not being biased here, Jordan is crap. He’s over-rated to the core, I’ve never seen him play well, in the Under 21 Euro Championships he was our worst player and without our stellar defence, it would of been more embarrassing. A strength to his game is his passing, I’m sorry but David De Gea provided a better distribution that Jordan Henderson and he can’t even speak English. Another example, Sergio Aguero.


Sergio was outstanding yesterday, world class. Now, he’s set high expectations for himself, if he doesn’t perform in the next say five games, people will question his fee. Now, say Sergio is English, to make things easier call him Steve Aguero. Steve has scored two and made one in a half an hour spell against Swansea. He’s now touted as the best thing since Bobby Charlton. Because he’s English, he’ll get a larger period of time to prove himself, despite the fee, look at Andy Carroll. He cost £35 million and even with injuries, has only played to his fee in one game. Now, if Andy was foreign he’d of left the country by now because of the media he’d of received. David has received it after two games, and he’s even made some good saves in his short time which has deluded so many individuals.


That is it for me on the topic of David De Gea, I want to provide blogs with a slight less bias tone but for part one and two of this I was restricted to a more niche audience. So an apology goes out to the non Manchester United followers I have that have read this and thought, could he be any more bias? Trust me, I admire good football and when Liverpool shows that, I’ll be less bias. (Was a joke by the way.)


Now then, to my inspiration towards writing this blog.



http://www.rambleunited.com/2011/08/de-gea-give-it-time/ A fantastic article. I’d love one day to write to that standard.



Thanks for reading,



Footylad.

No comments:

Post a Comment